wont-open.com - for all things that won't open! Guides to help you fix it fast.
The chrome browser won't open.
1. Disable antivirus/firewall programs
Google chrome may not open because it could be blocked by some software on your PC.
1. Turn off your antivirus and/or firewall programs.
2. Try top open google chrome.
3. If its works, you should create an exception in the program settings to allow google chrome access to the Internet
2. Uninstall browser search/tool bars
Some toolbars may be incompatible with your chrome version, which means that chrome can't load them and won't open itself.
Go to system->programs->uninstall programs. Look for browser toolbars and uninstall them.
3. Removing malware
If chrome still doesn't start and you have unwanted toolbars that are coming back, you might have to run a malware check using Spybot or Malwarebytes.
4. Reset profile file
If other programs are not the reason for chrome not opening, you might have an error in chrome settings.
Your profile might be broken and you can reset it by creating a new one. To do so:
1. Reboot your PC
2. Open a windows explorer and type '%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\' into the address bar (Win7/8)
For WinXP use '%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\'
3. Look for a folder named 'Default'. Rename it to something different.
4. Start Chrome, it will create a new default folder with new settings
5. Turn off advanced Text settings
This is a fix for WinXP, if chrome is not opening there it might be a problem with the text settings.
In Windows Explorer, navigate to
'C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application'
Right-click google chrome there, click properties->compatibility->input settings->Turn off advanced text services
6. Reinstall google chrome
Chrome won't open if you have installed the version for the wrong operating system. If you have a 64-Bit cpu, but a 32-Bit windows or linux, you still need to install 32-Bit versions. Otherwise chrome will crash or not load.
It might be that you have installed a 64-bit or 32-bit version of chrome and your OS has another specification. Check your system version and download the correct version from google.